Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Zone and Zen

Zone:  Becoming lost in the art of creating. 
 
I love the moment when I realize that I've been writing effortlessly for hours.  It is such a great feeling. 
 
To help put me in the zone I have a few tricks. 
 
1)  I use a soundtrack from a movie.  Currently I'm using the soundtrack from Robin Hood. When my brain hears the music it knows it is time to write. 
 
2) Before I quit writing I ponder what the next scene should be and maybe even write a first sentence.  I may or may not keep it, but I don't start the day with a blank page.
 
3)  I show up at the same time every morning.  Okay, most every morning.  My body knows that at 5:00 I'm going to write.
 
Do you have any special tricks up your sleeve that helps you to get in the zone?

Zen

My Co-worker found this little shop when she was visiting Dallas and thought of me.  I have a little sand garden on my desk.  If I find myself starting to say something critical about someone else I stop myself by saying "ZEN" and walking away.

The subject line said:  I found your bliss.

The fact that it is a dessert bar makes it even better.

It has been fun getting to read all the blogs and seeing how creative people are with coming up with things from A-Z.  I know some of mine have been a bit lame - but lame is better than nothing and next year I will "fail better".

21 comments:

  1. The A-Z sounds like an interesting challenge. I wish I could show up to write at the same time daily but I'm so sporadic. I'm the opposite with music - as soon as there's silence, that's when my brain gets into gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes silence works too. A-Z has been fun and a great way to find new blogs.

      Delete
  2. I tend to write at the same time every day; I sit on the couch in my room and shut the door and open the window so I can see the roses. And I sip at tea and enjoy two hours of blissful aloneness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually try to end my writing for the day mid-scene or with at least a few notes for what I want to start with the next day/session.

    It's been fun getting to know you during the A-Z! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun getting to know you as well. A-Z has been fun.

      Delete
  4. I can't write to music, the melody or lyrics distract me. But I can get in the zone with some mindless television. Certain shows that provide a little background noise really set the mood for me. They also provide little breaks during writing.
    Congrats on reaching the end of the challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't use songs that have words or I end up singing and that's never good.

      Delete
  5. I can't use music with lyrics either. Or even music without--it's so emotional. I like the sound of the wind outside my window.

    Congrats for making it through the A-Z. Phew! Time for a rest indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love walking on a blustery day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for an enjoyable A-Z. You have been such a great supporter and I have really enjoyed your posts!! Music doesn't usually work for me, especially when doing the final polish on a draft. It distracts from my character's voice (unless music is in the scene). But I've been experimenting with idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing the A to Z! Mmm, dessert bar. What a lovely place to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - Don't get no better than that. ;)

      Delete
  9. Dessert bar? Heaven! I don't think any of your posts were lame. Your content was always interesting and entertaining. I agree with you by listening to music, it gets me in the writing zone too. Hey, we survived A-Z. Yay! Thank you for helping me through it all and for all the support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad you didn't think they were lame. We did survive. Quite the month.

      Delete
  10. Love the zen mindset. Your tricks are the kinds of things professional writers do. I wish I was more structured with my writing, but I get up a 5 just to get to work on time and my afternoons can be crazy. Weekends work for me and by then I'm usually starved to write, so I do :) I've loved your A-Z, and do not think you failed in the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky and don't have to be to work until 8:30 so my mornings can be productive.

      Delete
  11. I begin writing after everyone else is in bed. I am so focused that if something distracts me, I'm totally pulled out of my writing zone. A sleeping household is my best chance for complete silence and uninterrupted productivity.

    It's been and A-to-Z pleasure, Jai!

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure for me as well. I enjoyed your blog immensely.

      If I wrote before bed I would never sleep. Having to go to work really sucks when I'm in the 'zone' but then I can spend the day pondering.

      Delete