Tuesday, April 16, 2013

NaNoWriMo

 
National Novel Writing Month happens in November.  People sign up to write 50,000 words in 30 days.

In case you're curious these are the rules:

The rules state that, to be an official NaNoWriMo winner, you must…
  • Write a 50,000-word (or longer!) novel, between November 1 and November 30.
  • Start from scratch. None of your own previously written prose can be included in your NaNoWriMo draft (though outlines, character sketches, and research are all fine, as are citations from other people’s works).
  • Write a novel. We define a novel as a lengthy work of fiction. If you consider the book you’re writing a novel, we consider it a novel too!
  • Be the sole author of your novel. Apart from those citations mentioned two bullet-points up.
  • Write more than one word repeated 50,000 times.
  • Upload your novel for word-count validation to our site between November 25 and November 30.

 
But wait there's more  Camp NaNoWriMo for those crazy enough to want to do it SEVERAL times a year.  Camp NaNoWriMo is held in April and July.  This year at camp they are letting you choose your word count goal.





23 comments:

  1. I've done this for a few year, but last year was the first year I got my daughter to do it. And I have to say, as great as the adult version is, I was blown away all that they offer to kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard that they did a lot for the kids.

      Delete
  2. I've never done camp nano, but the November challenge has helped me write 2 novels. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I participated in - and won! - NaNo for a number of years in a row, and I also did - and won! - the very first Camp NaNo. I skipped NaNo this year because I was deep in the revision process and knew it wouldn't work in terms of word count, etc. But I love it, and I might do Camp NaNo this summer... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is to take all the back story I'm writing for April Camp. Use May and June to give the story a few bones and then in July do it all over again. But this time walk away with a completed novel. Well, written novel, obvi.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to it!!! Great post! And I love "Bob"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell him that he has many admirers.

      Delete
  5. I am currently in the grasp of Camp NaNo, even with me own WC target I am finding it hard to juggle everything!

    It's fun though, isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it. It is kind of Crazy with A-Z and Camp but that's part of the fun.

      Delete
  6. I've participated in NaNoWriMo since 2009. This year I'm doing all the Camp NaNos too (just finished my April goal and am making my outline for July's novel).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good. I'm working on back story to get it out of my system. :)

      Delete
  7. I've done NaNo multiple times, though I've never won, it's a great motivator. I'm toying with camp NaNo in July this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camp Nano is great because you can choose your word count goal. I really like that idea.

      Delete
  8. I thought about doing this, but I don't know if I want to.
    Shawn at Laughing at Life 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy Nano and Camp Nano is good too. I have a writing buddy and that helps. In July I will get me Cabin Mates or Buddies...maybe they call them Buddies, anyway. I didn't think it would be fair to have Cabin Mates during April because my main focus has been on A-Z.

      Delete
  9. Yay for NaNo! I've been doing it every year in November for ten years. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that you are so brave for participating in NaNoWriMo. I find it scary, but I know so many writers who say that it has done wonders for their writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it fun. The worst that happens is you don't make word count. Best that happens is you make friends and play with characters or build a world.

      Delete
  11. I've participated in NaNo twice. I succeeded both times, but it's not for me. I really need to edit and shape my prose as I go along. Writing full speed ahead doesn't allow the in-process psychological exploration of character and story I do even on first drafts.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me I'd get over critical and never make it passed the first page.

      Delete
  12. It's nice to meet you through A to Z! Good luck at the challenging Camp NaNo!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete