Monday, April 22, 2013

Self Fulfilling Prophecy

A self-fulfilling prophecy is a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, by the very terms of the prophecy itself, due to positive feedback between belief and behavior.
 
It all started when my kids went of a trip to Oregon and brought me back a small souvenir turtle.  Ever since then when I get a present it will probably include a turtle.  I have a herd of turtle.  I didn't think much about it until the day my daughter told me about the turtle cup.
 
They were at Beans and Brew and saw a coffee cup with a turtle on it.  As they were leaving they talked about it and decided to get me the cup as a Christmas present.  They went back in to buy it and the cashier pointed at the now exiting customer.  
 
Eventually she decided there would never be turtle cup and told me how they had called every store in the valley. There were no turtle cups to be found.  Hearing the tale my son went on a quest. Last week he surprised me with the cup.  I laughed and we talked about how I don't really collect turtles.  Then this morning I saw a giant sea turtle on TV.  "Awe, what a cute turtle," I said.
 
 
 
My herd
 
And you can't forget this cute little fella.

 
A turtle I made at girl scout camp 100 years ago.
 
I think this was the first turtle.  When dad died I found him and brought him home.
Wow,I really do collect turtles.
Who'da guessed.
 



19 comments:

  1. I knew I liked you for a reason! And my tortoises agree. :) Oh, and the guy climbing the flower pot looks a lot like my guy, Larry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome. I could name mine Larry but the other boys might get jealous.

      Delete
  2. Usually self fulfilling prophecies are bad, but this one turned out pretty good. Turtles are cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how it happened. I really enjoy them and the kids make fun of me because of it.

      Delete
  3. As collection objects go, Turtles are a good choice. You aren't by any chance a cancer are you? There are some cultures who symbolize the sign as a turtle rather than a crab, which is very fitting--slow but persistent. I like turtles too. And they blend in better than a lot of choices (people with obsessions with cows, pigs or cats--they just are so obviously 'collectors' where turtles sort of 'fit with more natural decor'

    ReplyDelete
  4. (says the woman obsessed with llamas, but never mind)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. I like that little fella hanging on to the planter. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you find charm in simple things. Thanks for visiting St Louis on my blog. It sounds like you didn't get to visit your brother in school there. I think it would have pleased you! Recently I went back to Shaw's Garden. It was near our home so we walked often. Now it's much grander. On that recent sunny day there were 11 weddings taking place, all out of sight of each other! The place is huge!! Mary at Mary A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's impressive. Maybe one day I'll get to visit.

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a sweet story! Really like the turtle herd pic. I have a few, but mostly collect elephants :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love happy elephants. I think they are adorable.

      Delete
  8. That's so sweet. Turtles are really cute. I like that mug too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really fun. The mug has become my favorite.

      Delete
  9. With that many turtles, I'd have to say you collect them. They're adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friend had that same problem with ladybugs and took action to change it to snails. Turtles are pretty cool. My son has a bit of a turtle collection himself. It's cute that your family went to such lengths for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turtles!! My husband loves turtles and he always gets one as a gift from someone at some point. :D

    ReplyDelete