Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Craft

 
I like reading Stephen King and when he came out with a book on the craft of writing I bought it right away. 



I think it is a great book and I loved revisiting it. Here are a few of my take aways:

"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."

Alrighty then. 
"Honey, I'm not ignoring you I'm just following orders."  Oh yeah.  I like it.


"By the time I was fourteen … the nail in my wall would no longer support the weight of the rejection slips impaled upon it. I replaced the nail with a spike and kept on writing."

I've always loved this about Stephen King.  It wasn't "What if I get rejected?" It was acceptance that it would happen and when the nail wasn't sufficient enough he got a spike. 


How 'bout you?  Do you have a favorite writing book you fall back on when you need encouragement?

IWSG
Today is the first Wednesday of the month so it is time again for IWSG
 
The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG).
They meet the first Wednesday of every month to encourage each other, share doubts and insecurities.
You can go here to encourage other participants
 
Thanks to everyone who commented last month.  Your thoughts, suggestions and encouragement helped to get me through a rough patch.
 
This month I'm happy to report that I'm back on track and the words a flowing.
 
I'll keep it short as the A-Z Challenge is also underway.

26 comments:

  1. You know, I've heard about this book for years but I've never read it. I should probably buy me a copy at some point! Thanks for sharing those quotes. I love the nail one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this book. One of the best out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could only choose one this would be the one.

      Delete
  3. It's a good book!

    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a lot of encouragement in King's On Writing. I need me one of those rejection spikes! Glad to hear you are back on track this month. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quote about the spike. I have been wanting to read this book but haven't yet as I have so many books I want to read. I think I will have to move this one to the top of my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, i really like the Stephen King book too, but another favourite of mine is more recent.

    'The Positively Productive Writer by Simon Whaley' I've gained a lot more confidence since I read this book, it is full of tips and tricks to keep you writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen King is a genius. He's one of my idols too. I've learned a lot from his books both fiction and non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I replaced the nail with a spike and kept on writing." Love that quote!

    I don't have any books on 'writing' per se. I just read 'a lot'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephen King is very prolific. How is Camp NaNo going? Youcan find me under shaylakwiat there if you want to add me as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell behind the first day. I didn't feel well. I think I'll be caught up by the weekend though.

      I'll find you over at Nano.

      Delete
  10. I really need to read this book. A friend had it, but I never got a chance to borrow it before he moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can check it out at the library. I've decided that's the best way. Once you know the book is a good fit for you THEN you can buy it. ;)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the reminder, Jai. I have this book on the to-be-read shelf. My favorite: Manuscript Makeover by Elizabeth Lyon. Very helpful checklists for revision at all levels. But King sounds superlative for inspiration! Hi from Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! Whether you enjoy Stephen King's fiction or not, ON WRITING is without doubt one of the best, if not the best, writing book out there. It speaks to every writer and offers good solid advice without getting mired in trends and gimmicks (Donald Maass's how-tos come to mind).

    THE ART OF CHARACTER by David Corbett is a very recent release, and it's exceptional if you write character-driven fiction. Highly recommended.

    ~VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  13. On Writing was a good read, and I picked up some useful thoughts from it.

    I really like Hooked by Les Edgerton and The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. They've both been great additions to my knowledge or writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check these out as well. Thanks for the recomendations

      Delete