Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Be kind to yourself


Okay - so this is a bit of a stretch but, eh.

I know that I can be too hard on myself at time.  It is in those moments that I get the blinkety blanks.  That blank page with the cursor matching you blink for blink.  I think as writers we have to give ourselves the licence to write crap knowing that we'll get it cleaned up in the next run through.

“I can fix a bad page. I can't fix a blank page.”
Nora Roberts

And besides if I were perfect think of the laughter that would be lost. I tend to  snort soda through my nose when I stumble upon something really stupid.  I am always grateful it isn't hot coffee.

 
So be kind to yourself and put that judgmental editor to bed. Give your muse the freedom to do the happy dance from time to time.  

19 comments:

  1. good advice, and I love that quote. It's so very true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to follow to your blog but it didn't want to play with me.

      Delete
  2. I've had a few mistakes that were definitely hilarious. If not at the moment, then later on once I stopped being mad at myself.

    Also, that cat.... hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a writer: there will be plenty of people editing your stuff, give yourself a break before you break trying to find all the mistakes. Helpful people always point them out anyway :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't write much although I'd like to. That's a great quote.

    Carol's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice that all of us need to hear sometimes!

    Www.m5carolin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice!

    I find it much easier to ignore my critic when I'm pressed for writing time. She's still there, but if I only have an hour to writer, it's easier to ignore her voice and she just kinda wanders off. So now, when I have plenty of time to write, I sometimes put a timer on for half and hour and pretend that I don't.

    Silly, but it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the reminder to be kind to myself. I am waaaay too hard sometimes and it does no good at all. I end up looking like the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Nora Roberts quote. I need to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little notebook where I keep quotes I like.

      Delete
  9. If only I would heed your great advice :]
    Visiting from A-Z Challenge
    sewcarolinaknits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps in time we'll all remember to take it easy on ourselves. ;)

      Delete
  10. Great B entry! I'm often hard on myself. I've been trying to be more kind to myself this year, but sometimes I forget. =P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the reminder. And it's so true- that's what edits are for! :-)

    ReplyDelete