Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Imagination

 
Things are only impossible until they're not.
~Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
 
Imagination is such a wonderful thing.  When children are in the early grades they are encouraged to explore all things creative.  At some point there is a switch in how we expect our children to process the world around them.  To me that is sad.  To my husband that would be logical.  

My children were raised telling stories, creating films or other works of art.  His children were raised doing calculus, physics and other things I don't comprehend.  

Neither is right or wrong.  Though I'll admit that his children never got in trouble for getting their calculus problems correct. While my daughter got in trouble for the giant butterfly.  

She saw a giant butterfly and mentioned it to the class.  The teacher didn't find it humorous.  Judd insisted that she saw a giant butterfly.  Some of the other children agreed that there was a giant butterfly.  That's when it escalated and my daughter found herself in the Principal's office awaiting my arrival.    

I listened to both sides of the tale.  The teacher was disgusted by my daughter's disruptive behavior.  My daughter assured me there was a giant butterfly.  Had the teacher taken two minutes to look, perhaps she too would have seen what my daughter saw.  In the dirt on the glass was what looked like a giant butterfly.
 
I would like to say that the teacher saw the error of her ways, but alas this was not to be.  My daughter was unfazed by her unimaginative teacher and we managed to get through the last few weeks of fifth grade with her imagination still intact.

 
Okay these are really dragonflies. 
But I don't have a picture of a butterfly.
Use your imagination ;)
 
 
 

20 comments:

  1. Hello, Jai! Whenever I hear stories like this, I pity the teacher and worry for the child. I'm glad your daughter thought nothing of it and emerged from that teacher's classroom with her imagination unscathed! Children need to nurture and exercise their imaginations. Creativity is what helps you think outside the box, which is very important for problem solving and working through unexpected events. It sounds like your kiddos have a terrific balance between you and your husband!

    I can totally see that giant butterfly!!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually had two different families. I think that's why his kids are brainiacs and mine are creative. It would have been interesting to see the 'rounded' children we could have produced.

      That or we'd have fought over what was more important ; )

      Delete
  2. Creativity is a beautiful thing! And NECESSARY for life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For certain sure. I'd be lost without creativity in my life.

      Delete
  3. Creativity and intelligence go hand-in-hand. I want to see a giant butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the type of thing I got in trouble for at school too! It's so strange to me that such a harmless comment can cause such a stir. If only all teachers could properly appreciate children's creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially in Elementary. She was in "Gate" an accelerated program. It is not like she was a constant disruption in class.

      Delete
  5. Imagination is wondrous quality that should be nurtured and encouraged. I feel sorry for the teacher. Clearly she's in the wrong profession.

    ~VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally in the wrong profession or at least in the wrong discipline. If she wanted to be in the hard sciences, perhaps. But she taught English in the gate program. ahahaha

      Delete
  6. Ugh. It makes me sad thinking about the thousands of children daily whose imaginations are squashed by adults who become alarmed at anything they can't control. I'm glad your daughter is strong enough to not let it squelch her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. She has a strong sense of self. I am very proud of her.

      Delete
  7. Bravo for supporting your daughter's vision! We need more butterflies! I wish there weren't this division between those who calculate and those who create. In reality, math requires creativity as well (just at the higher levels), but there remains a sharp contrast between those who think linearly and those who think intuitively. We should all use our imagination! Fine post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your daughter stuck to Butterfly!! Boo on the teacher!
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son once painted a blurred picture when asked to paint on 'after the party' He claimed the person looking was drunk - and got in trouble... Think he'd get on with Judd! Have you come across the song which has in it 'red flowers are red, green leaves are green..... the way things always have been seen.' or words like that. Those teachers are definitely of that school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like they would get along famously. I haven't heard that song but it definitely applies to that teacher.

      Delete
  10. I find it appalling that a teacher wouldn't appreciate a child's imagination. Really she ended up in the principal's office over it?! I'm sure there are much worse things a child could do. This makes me sad and terrified for when my kids go to school. It's a scary thought to be putting them in the hands of a stranger that might not encourage imagination. On a happier note, it's so nice that you supported your daughter!

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I bopped on over to your blog. I see changes coming in education. Those learners that think "outside the box", like your daughter and mine, will become the norm and not the exception. I for one would have seen the butterfly and tried to connect that with calculus!

    ReplyDelete