Thursday, September 12, 2013

Day Two - Not your mama's oatmeal

It's not even Bob Harper's oatmeal.  No, I'm not cheating - exactly.

For breakfast I get oatmeal and five egg whites.

The oatmeal:
1 cup water
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 tbsp almond butter
dash of cinnamon
1/4 cup blueberries

Okay- now if you take THOSE ingredients but add two egg whites.
(Don't throw up.  Hear me out.)

I put the water, almond butter, cinnamon and two egg whites in a dish.  I mix it briskly with a fork to incorporate the eggs.  I then add the oatmeal and whisk some more.  When I'm feeling comfortable that everything is evenly mixed I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Then I stir it.  30 more seconds, stir. Repeat this process until your oatmeal is done. Time will vary depending on how thick you like your oatmeal. I sprinkle with more cinnamon.

I am using frozen blueberries and I add them about half way through.

It makes a very creamy oatmeal and I don't feel like I need to add almond milk.

I really enjoy this oatmeal.  To me it is dessert good.
Did I mention, I don't really like oatmeal.  But I like THIS oatmeal.



I then scramble the three egg whites.  Five egg whites on a plate is a daunting amount of egg whites.  Three is more doable. (picture not included ;)

If you a contemplating the Jump Start know that there are many other things you can eat for breakfast but I'm sensitive to most grains.  Oatmeal is the only one I've found I can tolerate, thus my daily oatmeal.

3 comments:

  1. It is crazy - but the protein keeps you full. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a really big fan of oatmeal, but I am glad that it works for you. It is definitely a great idea, adding the egg whites.

    ReplyDelete