Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Some times you have to look down

Yeah, I know, normally people are telling you to look up.  But this was an instance that made me laugh at myself and so I'm sharing.

Where I work we are as paperless as possible.  We look at one computer screen for our copy and on the other screen we type our documents.  I had a rush policy but a copy of a document I needed was not in the system. 

Dang it! I thought sending a note to the gal to please put it in the system as quickly as possible.

After I sent the note it dawned on me that I had the original document on my desk. 

Well, that's embarrassing, I thought and sent another note to the gal to be sure to get it in the file but the RUSH was not urgent anymore.

I have to say that it was odd looking at an original document to gather the information I needed, it felt so awkward.  Twenty years ago when I started in this industry it was what you did.  We had files and copies of every thing.  Files could be inches thick. 

Since going paperless we don't have physical files and at the end of the process we may have used 10-30 pieces of paper.

8 comments:

  1. Hehe, oh dear. I suppose sometimes you're just a little close to see the wood from the trees (or file from the desk). ;-)

    Sometimes I'll be reading a book and think 'Oh, I'd like to copy that' and then realise that I can't highlight it by pressing on the page.

    By the way, I've nominated you for the Sunshine Award here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome. I'll do that with my husbands phone and he just looks at me like I'm totally nuts. He still has the old Star Treck flip phone.

      Thanks for the award. I got it twice. I'm working on the 10 things about me now. ;)

      Delete
  2. The concept of a paperless office always amuses me. We were supposed to go paperless a few years ago but there's now more paperwork than ever. Or so it seems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a long time for people to let go of the files.

      Delete
  3. HA! Ooops... but I bet that's a totally common thing to do anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was odd. I know some title companies that are still using paper. It would drive me crazy.

      Delete
  4. Things really have changed in the office scene. Your description reminds me of my telephone company days in the 1990s. We were only starting to go paperless then and some employees were still clinging to their typewriters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh yes. I remember typing policies with carbon paper. ahahaha I can't begin to imagine how I survived.

      Delete