Friday, February 8, 2013

The price of gas.

 Every week I fill up my car. I know roughly what the cost is going to be and don't give it much thought beyond that.  Gas prices are high.  They have been higher.  I am not complaining.  I just never really thought about it.

Yesterday I had an eye opener.

I was at the pump and a young man came up to me and asked if I could spare a dollar so he could buy some gas.  I didn't have any cash on me and said sorry I just have my card.  After asking someone else he went back and sat in his car.

Wait a minute, I thought.  I have my card. 

I went to the young man and told him I could slide my card. Would $5.00 be okay?
He told me he had forgotten his wallet at home and $5.00 would be wonderful. 
Standing at the pump I realized just how very little $5.00 buys.  Just to be safe I had him add a few dollars more.  I didn't want him stranded at another gas station a few miles down the road.

When I got my first car my dad gave me a $2.00 bill to keep in my purse.  It was emergency money.   If I got too low on gas I didn't need to be stranded.  I'm dating myself, but back then you could get a gallon of gas... wait for it....  for 60 cents. 

He figured a two dollar bill was novel enough that I'd think twice about spending it on something frivolous.  It is a lovely tradition but I don't know how you'd manage to do it these days.  A roll of Susan B. Anthony's in the glove box perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment